In this article, we will break down how to link your email with Shaker.
- What is email linking?
- Connecting a Gmail Account
- Connecting Email with IMAP (non-Gmail)
- My email connection stopped working
How does email linking work?
Linking your email with shaker will sync your email communication with clients to their contact record in your shaker account. Emails will only sync with contacts who have been added to Shaker with a valid email address.
- We only sync emails that are:
- Sent from the linked email account and matches a contact or team member
- Sent to a linked email from a contact or team member
Emails sent via Shaker will also show up in the sent items of your personal email account.
Connecting to a Gmail Account:
- Click the Settings tab
- Under User Settings, select "Email"
- At the top of the page, you will see a "Link with IMAP" button. Click it.
- Fill in the IMAP and SMTP fields. The greyed-out information in the background is specific to Gmail users.
- Enter your Gmail user name and password.
- Click Save
- You're done!
Troubleshooting: If you received an error after completing the steps above, try the following.
- Go to your Gmail settings
- Click "See all Settings"
- Select "Forwarding and POP/IMAP"
- Enable IMAP if it is not already, and click "Save".
- Then navigate to "Google Account" > "Manage your Google Account" > "Security"
- Find the section labeled "Signing into Google" and click "App Passwords"
- Google will prompt you to confirm that it is you.
- Select the "Other" option in the "Select App" dropdown
- Next, click "Select Device" and type in "Shaker"
- Now click the "Generate" button.
- Copy the app password provided.
- Return to "Settings" > "Email" in Shaker.
- Re-enter your Gmail username, but for the password, you will enter the new password that Google provided you for Shaker.
- Click Save
- You're done!
Linking with IMAP
Connecting to a Non-Gmail Account
- If you're using Office 365 please go to your Email settings, under User Settings in Shaker.
- Click the "Link your Office 365 Account" button towards the top of the screen.
- Follow the prompts and you're good to go.
Other Email Hosts
If you are using any system other than Outlook or Gmail, you will need to locate your IMAP and SMTP information. Usually Googling the "name of your provider" + "IMAP Settings" will direct you to the information needed within the first few links.
- Once you have the necessary information, go to your Email settings, under User Settings in Shaker.
- Select "Link with IMAP" and fill out the information in the corresponding field.
- You will need to enter the user name and password for your provider's account. (If anything auto-fills in Shaker in those fields, delete it and type it in manually)
- Click "Save" and you're finished!
Troubleshooting Connection Issues
Sometimes emails stop syncing. There are various reasons for this including password changes or setting changes made by your email provider. If you believe your email has stopped synching, try the following.
1. Visit the Setting > Email Settings Page in Shaker to confirm your email is still linked. A successfully linked email should look like this:
2. If your email has become disconnected, follow the linking instructions above for your specific email provider.
3. If your email is showing that lit's linked, submit a support ticket with an example of a recent email sent including the contact's email address.